If you heavily rely on phone calls then tracking phone calls from Google Ads is essential part of your PPC Campaigns. Getting the tracking right is like halfway to nailing it. But, what happens when you track phone calls as clicks? ꛷
- What is PPC Call Tracking?
- The Limitation(s) of Google Ads Call Tracking Solution
- How Treating Clicks as Leads Can Improve Your Conversions and your knowledge
- How to properly track phone calls from Google Ads: Setting Up Call Tracking Campaigns
- Analyzing Call Data to Improve Your Campaigns and Conversion rates
- Implementing Strategies to Increase Call Conversions
- Using Offline Call Conversion Tracking to reveal your real ROI
- Lead Generation Metrics to value your PPC Calls
- Gain full visibility on what makes your phone ring
What is PPC Call Tracking?
PPC Call Tracking is a crucial tool for any marketer running pay-per-click campaigns. It allows you to track phone calls from your Google Ads campaigns, providing valuable insights into the effectiveness of your advertising efforts. By treating your clicks as leads and implementing PPC call tracking, you can gain a deeper understanding of which campaigns and ads are driving calls and the source of those calls.
Unlike Google Ads Solution on call tracking, which only provide basic call data, third-party call tracking software offer more robust call analytics. They give you detailed information about each call, such as call duration, call recording, and caller demographics. This rich call insight enables you to optimize your campaigns and improve your conversion rates.
Treating clicks as leads means recognizing the potential of every click to turn into a valuable phone call. By tracking and analyzing the data from these calls, you can gain a deeper understanding of your audience and tailor your campaigns to maximize conversions. This mindset shift can lead to improved campaign performance and ultimately, increased revenue.
The Limitation(s) of Google Ads Call Tracking Solution
When it comes to call tracking, Google Ads falls short in providing the rich call insights that third-party call tracking solutions offer. While Google Ads call conversions can give you basic call data, it lacks the depth and detail that you need to truly optimize your campaigns.
- It doesn’t tell you if your callers converted: Google Ads Call Tracking can inform you about the number of calls generated by your ads, but it doesn’t provide information on whether those callers converted into customers or completed desired actions. This lack of conversion data can make it challenging to assess the true effectiveness of your ad campaigns in terms of generating revenue.
- It doesn’t tell you which path your callers followed that lead to pick up the phone: Google Ads doesn’t reveal the specific online journey that led a caller to pick up the phone. It doesn’t show which landing pages they visited, which cta they clicked, or which ads they interacted with before making the call. This contextual information is crucial for understanding caller behavior and optimizing your advertising strategy.
- It only offers quantitive metrics: While Google Ads Call Tracking provides quantitative metrics such as call duration and call start time, it falls short in analyzing the qualitative aspects of phone conversations. The content and quality of these calls, including whether they resulted in a positive customer experience or led to a sale, are not captured by this tracking method. Without this qualitative data, you may miss out on important insights into customer interactions.
How Treating Clicks as Leads Can Improve Your Conversions and your knowledge
When it comes to crafting ppc strategies for improving your conversion rates, the only way is to start treating your click-to-call ctas as leads. By tracking PPC calls with a call tracking tool, you can gain valuable insights into your audience and tailor your campaigns accordingly.
What you can achieve beyond Google Ads Solution
- Contact and Demographic Information of you phone leads to enhance your Audience Targeting
- Multi-channel Tracking combining Organic with Paid touchpoints
- Enhanced ROI and ROAS Calculations based on the true Sales Value
- CRM Enrichment with Phone Leads ready to nurture down the funnel
- Call Recording and Transcription to evaluate the quality of each lead
- Phone Lead Scoring for better lead classification
- Multiple Call Conversion Actions to create a Phone Channel (from click to actual sale)
- Better Call Experience using a variety of features such as call whispers, greeting or IVR which you can easily drag and drop in a call flow
- Offline Conversion Tracking to see which campaigns lead to high-value sales.
- Richer Reports for deeper understanding of what makes your callers call you and track performarnce of your agents
- Automation rules to tag your organic and ppc calls without manual effort
Treating your ppc calls as leads is a mindset shift that can greatly improve your campaign performance. By recognizing the potential of every click to turn into a valuable phone call which can turn into a valuable sale, you can make informed marketing decisions, allocate your budget effectively, and ultimately drive better results for your business. So don’t underestimate the power of treating your clicks as leads and leveraging call tracking to maximize your conversion rates.
How to properly track phone calls from Google Ads:
Setting Up Call Tracking Campaigns
- Create your Free Nimbata Account
- Calculate your Tracking Number Pool with our Pool Estimator (check out our guide here)
- Add your unique DNI Script to your website
- Set up your call flow as simple or advanced you need to create your desired caller experience
- Simply create your call conversion(s) in Google Ads and create a rule for each one in Nimbata
Analyzing Call Data to Improve Your Campaigns and Conversion rates
Analyzing call data is a crucial step in improving your PPC campaigns and increasing your conversion rates. By understanding which keywords and ad creatives are driving the most calls, you can make data-driven optimizations that lead to better campaign performance.
When analyzing call data, pay attention to metrics such as call duration, call recordings, and caller demographics. This information provides valuable insights into the quality of the calls generated by your ads. For example, if you notice that calls from certain keywords have longer durations and higher conversion rates, you can allocate more budget to those keywords and optimize your campaigns accordingly.
Furthermore, analyzing call data can help you fine-tune your targeting and messaging. If you find that certain demographics are more likely to call and convert, you can adjust your campaigns to target those specific audiences more effectively.
Nimbata Call Reports to keep an eye on:
- Call Distribution by Channel: This report provides information about how calls are distributed across different channels, such as facebook, GMB, Ads, or any other . It helps you understand which channels generate the most phone calls.
- Calls by Weekday: This report breaks down the number of customer calls based on the days of the week. It can help you identify patterns and trends in call volume throughout the week.
- Calls by Call Tag: This report categorizes customer calls based on specific “tags” or labels that are assigned to each call. These tags can represent the reason for the call, the department it’s routed to, or any other relevant classification.
- Calls by page: This report provides insights into the specific web pages of a website that generate customer calls. In essence, the “Calls by Page” report allows you to pinpoint the online touchpoints where users are most likely to seek assistance, have questions or convert, facilitating improvements in user experience and customer service in those areas.
Implementing Strategies to Increase Call Conversions
Starting treating your phone calls as leads instead of clicks, means that you have to be strategic and think beyond “If they call fine, if not it’s also fine”. Phone calls represent a higher level of engagement and interest in your product or service, as they require effort and time on the part of the caller. Understanding this, you can implement several strategies to optimize call conversions:
- Design your LP to prompt phone calls
To encourage more phone calls, optimize your website’s landing pages. Clearly communicate the benefits of your product or service and include persuasive call-to-action (CTA) elements that prompt visitors to make that crucial call. Highlighting the value they’ll receive from calling can be a powerful motivator.
- Test different CTA placement
Experiment with the placement of your call-to-action buttons or links. A/B testing different positions on your website can help you identify where CTA placement generates the most call conversions. Sometimes a simple change in button color, size, or positioning can have a significant impact.
- Use Call Extensions
Call extensions add clickable phone numbers to your ads, making it convenient for potential customers to call your business directly from the ad. It simplifies the process and can lead to higher conversion rates.
- Improve Caller Experience to reduce call abandonment rate
A positive caller experience is vital. Ensure that calls are promptly answered, and callers are greeted professionally. Implement efficient call routing and consider offering interactive voice response (IVR) systems to direct callers to the right department. Minimizing hold times and providing helpful information can reduce call abandonment rates and increase conversions.
- Ensure that your call tracking is right and invest in what works
Accurate call tracking is essential. Use call analytics tools to monitor which marketing channels, keywords, or campaigns are driving the most valuable calls. By identifying what works, you can allocate your marketing budget more effectively, focusing on strategies that yield the highest call conversions.
Using Offline Call Conversion Tracking to reveal your real ROI
💡 If you’re already using Nimbata, the quickest way to attribute a value to your phone calls is through automation rules.
For service-oriented businesses with fixed service prices, the most effective method is using call surveys. For instance, when your agent presses “1” following a successful call, a rule can automatically tag it with the specific service (e.g., Dental Cleaning) your client has booked and assign its value. This data can then be seamlessly transmitted to Google Ads, providing a clear view of your campaign’s impact on ROI.
For any other business that doesn’t have fixed prices, the optimal approach is to employ an automation rule that defines the criteria for a sale. Subsequently, you can relay your call conversion data back to Google Ads, utilizing your Average Order Value (AOV) as the value for the sale.
Lead Generation Metrics to value your PPC Calls
When it comes to measuring the success of your PPC call tracking efforts, there are several key metrics that you should pay attention to. These metrics can help you determine the value of your phone leads and make informed decisions about optimizing your campaigns.
One important metric is the Cost Per Lead (CPL). This metric calculates how much it costs you to generate each phone lead. By comparing your CPL to the revenue generated from those leads, you can determine if your campaigns are cost-effective and allocate your budget accordingly.
Also, the Lead-to-Sale Conversion Rate is a crucial metric for measuring the quality of your phone leads. This metric calculates the percentage of leads that result in actual sales. By tracking this rate, you can identify the most valuable leads and focus your efforts on generating more of them.
By analyzing these metrics and making data-driven optimizations, you can maximize the value of your phone leads and drive better results for your business. So don’t underestimate the importance of tracking and analyzing these PPC metrics to ensure the success of your call tracking efforts.
To make the most out of PPC call tracking, there are some best practices you should follow. First, ensure that you have set up call tracking for all your campaigns and ad groups. This will allow you to gather comprehensive data on the calls generated by your ads and make informed decisions about optimizing your campaigns.
Next, regularly analyze your call data to identify trends and patterns. Pay attention to metrics such as call duration, call recordings, and caller demographics to understand the quality of the calls generated by your ads. This information can help you optimize your campaigns to generate more high-quality leads.
In addition, optimize your call conversions by testing different ad copy and call extensions. Experiment with different formats, positions, and devices to determine which combination generates the most calls and conversions. This will help you maximize the effectiveness of your ads and drive better results.
Finally, don’t forget to incorporate call data into your offline conversion tracking. By attributing offline sales to specific phone calls, you can accurately measure the real sales value generated from your PPC campaigns and make informed marketing decisions.
Gain full visibility on what makes your phone ring
Set up today, get true attribution tomorrow